Wrinkle relaxers are non-surgical injectables used to relax specific facial muscles, leading to smoother, wrinkle-free skin. These medications are most commonly known by their brand names; Botox, Dysport, Jeaveau, and Daxxify.
How Do They Work?
Wrinkle relaxers are medications derived from Botulinum toxin. You may hear them referred to as neuromodulators because they work by temporarily blocking nerve signals in the muscles where injected. Here’s how they work:
1. Muscle Contractions and Wrinkles: Facial wrinkles, such as frown lines (11’s), crow's feet, and forehead lines, often result from repeated muscle contractions over time. These contractions create creases in the skin.
2. Blocking Nerve Signals: When a wrinkle relaxer is injected into specific facial muscles, it blocks the release of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter responsible for muscle contractions. This effectively prevents the targeted muscles from contracting.
3. Relaxed Muscles: As the targeted muscles relax and become temporarily paralyzed, the wrinkles they caused also smooth out. This leads to a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines in the treated area. Neuromodulators can also be used by your injector to subtly lift the brows, relax a gummy smile, help with TMJ, and tighten the neck.
4. Temporary Results: The effects of wrinkle relaxers are temporary, typically lasting for several months. Over time, the body gradually metabolizes the medication, and muscle activity returns to normal. As a result, follow-up injections are necessary to maintain the desired cosmetic effects.
What To Expect
Getting a wrinkle relaxer treatment is a relatively straightforward and minimally invasive procedure. Here's what you can expect:
1. Consultation: Your journey begins with a consultation where your provider will listen to your concerns and formulate a plan based upon your unique anatomy and goals.
2. Prep: Before the injection, your provider may cleanse the treatment area to ensure it's free from oils and makeup. They will also discuss the treatment plan with you, explaining how many units will be administered and where.
3. Injection: Using a very fine needle, your provider will inject directly into the targeted muscles. The number of injections and their precise locations will depend on your specific treatment plan. You may feel a slight pinch or stinging sensation during the injections, but most people find the discomfort to be minimal and well-tolerated.
4. Duration: The entire injection procedure usually takes only a few minutes, and it is often described as quick and convenient.
5. Recovery: There is little to no downtime associated with this procedure. You can typically resume your regular activities immediately after the procedure. We do advise you to avoid strenuous exercise, lying down, or touching the treated area for a few hours to ensure it settles properly.
6. Results: Wrinkle relaxers do not provide instant results; it takes some time to take effect. You may begin to notice improvements within a few days to two weeks.
7. How Long Does It Last?: Depending on your metabolism and the choice of wrinkle relaxer, results typically last three to six months. To maintain your desired look, you'll need to schedule follow-up appointments for additional injections.
8. Possible Side Effects: You may notice some mild redness, swelling, or bruising at the injection site. These effects usually resolve quickly.
9. The Natural Vibe: When administered by one of our skilled and experienced providers at Functional Beauty, wrinkle relaxers provide natural-looking results that allow you to maintain your facial expressions while reducing the appearance of wrinkles.