It’s time for those dark spots to bow down to your radiance. When it comes to treating melasma and other stubborn pigmentation issues, a medical grade Cosmelan peel is the standard of excellence.
The Cosmelan peel works by inhibiting melanin production in the skin. It can also be used to improve acne scars and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, helping to fade dark marks and enhance overall skin texture. The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles can be reduced by promoting increased collagen production, leading to firmer and more elastic skin.
The medical grade Cosmelan peel we use at Functional Beauty contains Hydroquinone and a combination of other active ingredients such as Retin A, azelaic acid, phytic acid, ascorbic acid, kojic acid, and arbutin. The effectiveness of this medical grade formula surpasses that of other Cosmelan products available over the counter.
One of the advantages of Cosmelan is its customizable nature. The intensity of the peel can be adjusted based on the severity of skin concerns and the patient's skin type. It is formulated to be suitable for various skin types and ethnicities, including individuals with diverse skin tones.
What To Expect
Before the Peel:
1. Consultation: Your journey begins with a consultation where your provider will listen to your concerns and formulate a plan based upon your unique skin type and goals. The Cosmelan peel is different from other chemical peels in that there is specific and conscientious at-home care you must complete once you leave the clinic.
2. Preparation: Depending on your skin type and condition, your skin may be prepped with specific products to optimize the results and minimize potential side effects.
During the Peel:
1. Application: The Cosmelan peel involves the application of a topical mask to your skin. This mask contains a combination of active ingredients, including depigmenting agents, to target hyperpigmentation. The color and consistency of the peel resembles peanut butter, which is why this peel is often referred to as the peanut butter peel.
2. Waiting Period: You will leave the clinic with the mask on your face, and you will be given instructions on how long to leave it in place before removing it at home. This waiting period allows the active ingredients to penetrate the skin.
After the Peel:
1. Home Care: After the specified waiting time, you'll follow the instructions to remove the mask at home. Your provider will provide you with a post-peel care routine, including specific skincare products to use during the recovery period.
2. Post-Peel Effects: You may experience redness, peeling, and mild discomfort in the days following the peel. This is normal during the exfoliation process and are signs that your skin is shedding its old self to reveal the new glow.
3. Avoid Sun Exposure: It's crucial to avoid sun exposure during the recovery period, and sunscreen application is typically recommended to protect the treated skin.
4. Follow-up Appointments: We will have you schedule follow-up appointment 3-4 weeks post initial application to monitor your progress and determine if additional treatments or maintenance are needed. The entire process will last a course of around 3 months.