Your Own Growth Factors
Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix (PRFM) is created when our providers draw a small amount of your blood and process it in a way that produces a more advanced form of platelet rich plasma (PRP). PFRM captures a higher concentration of platelets and growth factors within a fibrin matrix, a natural component of blood that supports wound healing. The fibrin matrix in PRFM provides a more sustained and gradual release of growth factors, enhancing its effects and offering longer lasting results than just PRP.
PRFM can be injected and microneedled into the skin to stimulate collagen and elastin production. At Functional Beauty, we recognize that injecting PRFM into areas of concern such as the under eyes and cheeks is one of the best ways to build a good base and naturally enhance skin tone and elasticity.
What To Expect
1. Consultation: Your journey begins with a consultation where your provider will listen to your concerns and formulate a plan based upon your unique skin type and goals.
2. Prep: Before the procedure, a topical numbing cream is applied to the treatment area to minimize discomfort during the microneedling. Your skin is then cleansed and sterilized.
3. Blood Draw: Your provider will draw a small amount of your blood, usually from your arm, in a manner similar to a routine blood test.
4. Blood Processing: The blood is then processed in a centrifuge to separate the plasma, and create the PRFM.
5. Injection: The PRFM is then injected into the targeted areas of your face. The injections are performed with a fine needle.
6. Needle Magic: Following your injections, your provider will apply the remaining PRFM onto your face for microneedling. The provider will delicately glide the microneedling pen across your skin's surface, inducing controlled micro-injuries in your skin while filling those micro-channels with the PRFM. The depth and density of these needle punctures are customized according to individual anatomy, the particular skin condition being addressed, and the patient's skin type.
7. Collagen Party: The micro-injuries trigger the body's natural wound-healing process. This stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, which are essential for maintaining the skin's firmness and elasticity. Over time, this increased collagen production can help improve the skin's texture, tone, and overall appearance. The growth factors in your PRFM enhance the overall effectiveness of the treatment.
8. Aftercare: You may experience some swelling, redness, or mild discomfort at the injection sites. These side effects are usually temporary and subside within a few days. After the microneedling, the skin may appear slightly red and feel sensitive, similar to a mild sunburn. This typically subsides within a few days. Patients are advised to avoid direct sun exposure and use sunscreen during the healing process. The downtime associated with microneedling is relatively short compared to more invasive procedures like laser resurfacing.
9. Results: Following the PRFM injections, you may notice an immediate plumping effect in the injection areas, similar to the results achieved with dermal fillers. However, this instant effect will gradually diminish as the PRFM assimilates into the tissue, kickstarting the production of collagen and elastin. To maintain and enhance these benefits, it is recommended to undergo multiple sessions.
After your microneedling with PRFM, improvements in your skin's appearance will manifest progressively over several weeks to months, as the collagen and elastin regeneration process continues to revitalize the treated region. Achieving optimal results often necessitates multiple sessions, typically spaced a few weeks apart.